Currently I am into automating the process of installing and configuring snort in FreeBSD. I have developed a small script which installs and configures Snort, MySql, Apache, PHP, ADODB and Base console in FreeBSD. Currently I have written the following scripts:
1) start.sh -> creates all necessary directories and users
2) deps.sh -> installs dependencies like libpcap, pcre, libxml2
3) mysql.sh -> installs mysql
4) snort.sh -> installs snort and updates the rules
5) create_snortdb.sh -> creates snort db schema and confifures acl’s for accessing
6) apachephp.sh -> installs apache, php and mod security
right now I am into developing scripts for updating configuration files too.. like after you install all the above you need to manually modify snort.conf, httpd.conf;etc for settings..
i am also developing a model to secure the entire ids by hardening FreeBSD, MySQL, Apache;etc and distributed IDS
will update soon !!!